Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Happy Day that the Ice Cream Cone was Applied for Patent!

The last few days my dorm dining room has been plastered with posters and signs for FREE ICE CREAM. I mean, whenever there is free food it is an event, but I was a little confused on the reason for the  free ice cream. The signs advertised that it was in celebration of the invention of the ice cream cone so I decided to do a little research. Googling "Ice cream cone invention" kept coming up with the date July 23 which is obviously not today.  Trying a few different searches I found "The History of Ice Cream" on http://www.chevroncars.com/learn/food-recipes/ice-cream-cone-history where I was able to find September 22. Apparently an Italian named Italo Marchiony created one of the first ice cream cones for his street cart business selling lemon ice in NYC. He did so to lessen his dish load and so that people could walk away with their frozen treat. He applied for a US patent on September 22, 1903. Many people recognize July 23 because it was also invented by another man a year later and sold at the World Fair. Hey if people want to have two ice cream days that will always be alright with me.
Now my free scoop consisted of spoonful of melty vanilla on a kiddie cone, but its free and I'm celebrating a foodie holiday so there's nothing wrong with that. So have some ice cream and I hope you have a great time celebrating the anniversary of the day an ice cream carrier was applied for a patent!

No comments:

Post a Comment