Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Go Big or Go Home.....but Don't Go Home Big

The feared freshman 15 has been looming over most college freshman as the new school year has begun. I have found college eating to be very different from home eating. For starters you have so many options. At the same mealtime I can get a deli sandwich, mongolian stir fry, chicken pot pie, pizza, calzones, salads, yogurt parfaits, candy and more.....just in my dorm cafeteria. For the most part I have found this to be a positive experience. I like being able to choose what I want to eat and when I want to eat it. I now have the freedom to eat a salad when I'm feeling the need for some veggies or try new foods like the chicken philly cheesesteak that I never knew existed. Sometimes the freedom is more of a blessing than a curse. I now have an addiction to chocolate covered strawberry flavored fro-yo with Oreo and Reese's toppings. I've also fell in love with my cafe's Mexican Bar where you can get a quesadilla, burrito, nachos, burrito bowl, soft tacos and the famous walking taco at any time lunch through dinner on certain days. Overall the good is outweighing the bad and because of my love of our outstanding exercise facility I'm pretty sure I haven't been gaining weight (at least so far).  College has come with lots of new experiences so the motto between my friends and I have been to "Go Big or Go Home" but as long as I keep taking advantage of the health facilities and be smart about my food choices I hopefully won't "Go Home Big".

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it true that the kitchen is the "hub" of the household, the heart of the home, a gathering place to study, to talk, to bake, to assemble, to share a cup of comfort with one another. I have always loved that no matter how many people come by, 4o or 4, we all gather in the kitchen. So really, for you as a college student on campus, your cafeteria will serve all these same purposes. As far as I can tell, the one missing link is having the ability to fix your own food...maybe you should petition for a self-serve kitchenette, so when you're craving a batch of Top-of-Stove cookies you can make them! Or better yet...Mom will send a box!

    ReplyDelete